Job Title: Business Analyst
Location: Phnom Penh, with extensive provincial travel
Job Type: Full Time (Monday – Friday)
Report to: Manager, Systems Strengthening
Closing date: This position is opened until filled
WaterSHED is seeking a dynamic and talented Business Analyst to lead a team to oversee the development and use of WaterSHED’s data information systems, including the database and the various instruments for collection, analysis, and reporting. She/he will support the measurement and evaluation of progress within the scope of WaterSHED’s market based programs.
WaterSHED uses a systems-approach to build the rural market for water, sanitation, and hygiene products and services across Southeast Asia. Based in Cambodia, WaterSHED uses in-depth research to identify strategic opportunities and gaps in the wider system, and then works to strengthen the capacity and relationships between key actors to create a more dynamic and resilient market.
We don’t reach millions of people. We build systems that do.
By engaging key actors in the system, including small businesses, customers, and local government, WaterSHED facilitates the adoption of toilets, water filters, and handwashing stations – building a market that functions independent of traditional aid. To date, WaterSHED’s hands-off marketing approach has successfully enabled small businesses to sell more than 160,000 toilets, generating more than USD $8 million in revenue for rural businesses, and helping accelerate sanitation coverage from a stagnant 25% to more than nearly 50% in six years.
WaterSHED has been featured in Forbes, Reuters, and Huffington Post, and is a twice winner of USAID’s Development Innovation Ventures competition, a winner of Canada Grand Challenges Stars in Global Public Health, and 1st prize winner of the Reed Elsevier Environmental Challenge.
The Business Analyst is a member of WaterSHED’s management team. As a team leader, she/he is primarily responsible for the process of collecting and mining data, assuring data quality, converting it into useful information, and sharing it in an effective and timely way for management and planning. Data can include market data, operations data, customer data, GIS data, financial data, product inventory data, etc. and comes from both primary and secondary sources.
As the Business Analyst, you will establish or further develop mechanisms to:
- identify and understand key trends in marketing activities;
- spot market opportunities and to maximize results / enhance efficiencies;
- identify deficiencies and gaps in operations to improve productivity;
- highlight outliers (both positive and negative deviants);
- suggest implementation refinements and providing analysis to support decision-making;
- analyze product portfolios, sales patterns, consumer behavior, consumer financing to optimize the offerings of WaterSHED and its private sector partners;
- perform strategic data analysis and research to support business needs, as necessary;
- identify opportunities to improve productivity via modeling;
- explore data to identify opportunities to improve business results; and
- prepare various donors report and ad-hoc report.
The Business Analyst will develop an understanding of business processes, goals and strategy in order to provide insights to management. He/she will scan the operating landscape to identify barriers impeding progress as well as the attributes that will enable wider roll-out of WaterSHED’s market-based approached to the provision of water, sanitation and hygiene products and services. Where possible and appropriate, the Business Analyst will explore new technology that can enhance WaterSHED’s information systems.
Data Analysis and Reporting:
- Undertake critical analysis of primary and secondary data as described above and share findings within appropriate
- Review data provided in all monthly, quarterly, and annual data reports prior to distribution
- Develop ad-hoc reports as necessary
- Present data at conferences and meetings
- Supervise data quality assurance team
- Undertake administrative tasks as required and other duties as required
Technology and Systems:
- Explore and develop technology options to enhance WaterSHED’s data management capabilities
- Foster relationships with other agencies for data exchange (i.e. NIS, MRD, WSP, ODC)
- Represent WaterSHED externally as required
- University Degree in relevant field
- At least 3 years relevant experience
- Experience working with statistical analysis software such as: SPSS, STATA
- Experience with GIS
- Fluency in English and Khmer, oral and written
- Driving license and experience
WHO ARE YOU?
Working with us will give you the chance to use your creativity and deploy your ideas every day. We have a dynamic, highly collaborative culture that sets high standards for our work.
We are looking for people who appreciate WaterSHED’s values and mission, have excellent communication skills, are entrepreneurial and creative, take initiative, and are enthusiastic. Good problem-solving, critical-thinking skills, honesty, and trustworthiness are essential. See our values at www.watershedasia.org/about-us
Interested applicants please send your application including:
- An application form (download),
- A cover letter, outlining your experience and skills
- And your C.V. or resume, with the names and contacts of three referees
to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Business Analyst”.
Deadline: This position is opened until filled